Like Father, Like Daughter

0129

I'm so lucky to have my Dad as my Dad. He may have been the strictest father around growing up, but he's taught me more in my 30 years than any other person I've ever encountered, and now as a parent I fully understand that he was so strict because he cared so much. My Dad's lived the most interesting life; he was born and raised in Bolivia, has traveled all around the globe, lived in various parts of Asia, and is one of the most fascinating people I've ever met. He's taught me so much about not only being a good and decent human being, but also countless lessons about working hard and being a leader in any situation.

The older I get, the more I see my Dad in myself. He's in so many different parts of me- my argumentative, stubborn side, my occasionally fiery temper, but also in my deep love for my family and my willingness to do whatever it takes to ensure they are safe and happy. I think of my father countless times throughout the day; when I make sure the door is locked (twice), when I say "be careful" every time Hank leaves, or whenever I open my car's trunk and see the emergency kit and bottle of water he always makes sure is present.

My father had a horrible near-death experience a few years ago where he died twice and was revived twice, and I feel lucky that I got a second (and third) chance to make sure he knows how much I love and appreciate him. During that long stretch while he was in a coma I got to think a lot about our relationship, and I am so, so grateful for all of the "extra" time we're living.

And now, seeing my sweet Hank as a father is another one of the best things in the world. I feel so fortunate to have such great men in my life, and if Henry grows up to be anything like Hank or my Dad, I will consider myself a very lucky mama.

So happy Father's Day, to my Dad and to Hank. I love you both!  And Happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful men and women out there who are dads or father figures in some way.  I hope you all have a beautiful Sunday.