Tattoo Tuesday V.96

Every once and awhile I like to revisit previous Tattoo Tuesday participants and check out what new work they've gotten, and ask them a whole new set of questions! My sweet friend Silje is here today to talk a little bit more about her tattoos, and be sure to check out her original feature here (she was the FIFTH participant...so long ago!).


Name/blog name: Silje Røe Hagland - littlebirdcrafts.blogspot.com & tattoosbysilje.com
Age: 27
Occupation: Tattoo artist at Scapegoat Tattoo in Portland, OR. You'll find me tattooing Sundays through Wednesdays 12-8pm!


Have you gotten any more tattoos since you were first featured on Tattoo Tuesday?

I have! Since last I have gotten my left thigh worked on, and it is close to being fully covered. I recently just got the back of my thigh tattooed by my incredibly talented boss, and friend, Brian Wilson (http://btwilsontattoos.com). Brian has been traveling Europe this summer, and just left the country again, so the piece is still unfinished. The tattoo is of the Fenris wolf, who in Norse Mythology is a son of Loki and is foretold to kill the god Odin. I had wanted a wolf tattoo for a while, but it was actually Brian's idea to have it be that specific one.





Since then I also had my friend Shaun Nel, do a geometrical flower on my left hand. I had previously gotten a similar flower under my chin, and have since been slightly obsessed with them. Other people seem to like them as much as I do, as I have been putting them on people left and right lately! (Check out my portfolio here). Shaun made sure I finally got my Norway tribute tattoo by putting a flaming goat on my stomach.  I also celebrated my love for knitting with the words "knit" and "purl" on my thumbs, tattooed by Matt Moreno. You can have a look at some of my knits here.


 
 
The last tattoo I got was my right knee, done by Craig Brown (http://craigbrowntattoo.com/). Other than geometrical type flowers, any geometrical shape has been my latest obsession. The tattoo is all dots, in three different shades of grey. The plan is to add more dots fading out behind my existing tattoos.


If you had to pick a favorite tattoo what would it be?

My favorite right now has to be my right hand still, done by Shaun Nel. Shaun did my left hand just before we both moved away from Kansas City. We didn't see each other for a long time, as we were on opposite coasts, and I was so happy to have him put another pretty flower on my hand during last years Portland tattoo expo. It's not only a great tattoo, and incredibly inspiring to look at every day, but Shaun is also one of my best friends. That tattoo just makes me happy ever time I look at it, that's all.




Do you have plans to get any more? Do you have any off limits areas?

I do! I have gotten tattooed a lot the last year, and it is such a big part of my life, both tattooing, and getting tattooed, I don't see why I would stop now. I like the thought of collecting art on my body, and there are so many great artists out there, I'm looking forward to continue to get tattooed by my favorite ones.

As far as any off limit areas I would definitely say my neck and face. I like neck tattoos on other people, I just don't think there is anything I would care to have that close to my face for the rest of my life.

What has your experience been like as a heavily tattooed female?

Both good and bad. People like to stare, and the more heavily tattooed you are, the more they invade your privacy. I get talked to at the gym, the grocery store, on the street, everywhere. People always want to show off their tattoos, and share their story. It's annoying at times, but also funny. I guess it depends on where it happens.



What's the weirdest thing anyone's ever said to you in regards to your tattoos?

People say weird things all the time. I always laugh when people automatically think that because I am heavily tattooed, getting tattooed must not hurt. It hurts every single time. I don't like getting tattooed, but you learn to deal with the pain. Being a tattoo artist I also know how annoying, and difficult it is to have someone squirm, and cry during every single line.




Any last thoughts in regards to getting tattooed?

Research! Take your time, find an artist who's style suits you best. Don't get me wrong, I am all for fun little, spur of the moment tattoos, just as long as you know the shop, or the artist.