Literate & Stylish: Emily of Last Train to Pooksville

LS

Literate & Stylish is simple, and the post is short but sweet- every Thursday I'll be showcasing a lovely lady and her favorite book. She'll share a few pretty photos showing off her personal style, along with her book of choice, and tell us why she loves it.


from Emily, of Last Train to Pooksville and Uff Da Designs on Etsy

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

I fell madly in love with Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore before I'd managed to make much of a dent in its hefty 448 pages. Following the duel, unknowingly connected heroes (a reclusive teenaged runaway with an exhorting alter-ego, and simple-minded elderly gentleman with an ability for conversing with cats) is a dreamy, mesmerizing, and sometimes frightening adventure. This novel is full of incredibly charming characters, metaphysical pondering, bewitching glimpses of Japanese and American pop culture, a bit of truly scary violence, some sex, and a good dose of silliness. I love this book for leaving me unsettled, like the moments after waking from a vivid dream and wondering what's real versus what was imagined while sleeping. If you're a fan of J.D. Salinger, Kurt Vonnegut, David Lynch or if you just wish to read something thrilling, hilarious, heartbreaking, terrifying, and masterfully imaginative all at once, I highly recommend Kafka on the Shore. I find something new to adore and ponder each time I read this book. It's so very worth the effort.




See the rest of the Literate & Stylish posts here.