Tattoo Tuesday V.102


Name and blog name: Spencer Michael Jordan Kmyta, www.captainstattoo.com OR www.facebook.com/captainstattoo

Age: 22

Occupation: Tattoo Artist, Owner of Captain's Tattoo (editor's note: be sure to check out Spencer's shop and some of the photos of the interior- it's so pretty!)

Age of first tattoo: Thirteen… ish, my mom and I have had this argument for years, I remember being twelve and a half, she argues that she never would have let me get one that young, and says I was fourteen. So we'll say thirteen and play it safe.

Favorite tattoo: I'm getting a half sleeve done right now by Shawn Barber, he's a legend in the tattoo industry, primarily for his oil painting, documenting tattoos and tattoo artists from around the world in his "Tattooed Portraits" series. I'm only 2 sessions and 2 trips to Los Angeles in to the tattoo, and it's already my favourite for sure.

Featured tattoo/location: Honeymoon rose tattoo, right hand.

Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: I got this tattoo by Colin Wiley of Tattoo Zoo in Victoria, BC.



1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story about why you chose it, or maybe a special meaning?

I got it June 21st, 2009. I remember the date so well because it was the day after my wedding, and after what seemed like an awfully long, hung over ferry ride from Vancouver to Victoria I was super excited to get it done. It's a traditional rose tattoo with "Carly" written on the banner. Carly obviously being my adoring wife (recently featured in a recent "Tattoo Tuesday"). The tattoo turned out great, and Colin is an extremely gentle artist. After the tattoo, my hand was so swollen, my knuckles were completely non existent. Super rad, super hilarious.


2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

I have a few tattoos…
-Rose on my right hand
-Bats on my left hand
-1970 on my left hand
-Anchor on my middle finger, lower knuckle
-Diamond on my left palm
-Alien fetus on my left forearm
-Memorial tattoo for a friend on my inside left forearm.
-Misfits tribute piece on my left bicep
-X-Ray of my skull on my right forearm
-My hands holding my first shop key to my studio, and my favourite tattoo machine on my inside right forearm
-3 Snakes and Skulls around my neck and throat
-Ramones tribute tattoo on my shoulder blade
-Metallica Tribute Tramp Stamp (I'd prefer not to talk about that one hahaha)
-Mars Attacks Alien head on my right thigh
-Black widow on my right thigh
-Large heart with "Clovis" written on the banner for my cat, on my left thigh
-Small heart on my left thigh
-Sparrow on my left thigh

That's it for now!




3) Do you plan on getting more?

Definitely, I have 2 full days booked in late January with Shawn at Memoir Tattoo in L.A., to hopefully finish my right forearm, and then begin the process of planning the upper portion!

4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? Do you have a significant other? Does he/she have tattoos? 

Being an artist myself, I find I'm surrounded by great friends, and great family, 90% of which I have worked on and have at least 1 or 2 tattoos themselves. There's always going to be the occasional smug jerk here or there out in public who choses to believe you're a drug smuggling Hells Angel because of your tattoos, but in the end it's important to remember that when you chose to become heavily tattooed, you're choosing to put up with that. It comes with the uniform. My wife and I try our best to show those people who we really are, sometimes you can change someones point of view by doing something as simple as giving them a nice smile, or grabbing the door for them. It's a little extra work sure, but if I can have my cake and eat it too, I'm a happy guy.


5) What's the most interesting experience you've ever had in regards to your tattoos? 

Haha, too many to count, a couple days ago I was standing outside my studio with a couple friends and clients, a cute old lady smiled at me as she walked past. Once she got about ten or fifteen steps away, she turned and held her hands at her neck, gesturing some kind of pain to her throat as she stared at my neck tattoo. She paused again, smiled, and said "I wouldn't want to be your grandmother." I smiled, and laughed awkwardly. She walked away.


6) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

Yes, so much advice. Don't look for a deal, the expression is and always has been, if you're getting a great price, you're probably not getting a "great tattoo." This has exceptions of course, and I only speak to those people that I meet daily who tell me about "their buddy" who tattoos them for as long as they can sit for $20. Tattoos are permanent, but not only are they permanent, they're a permanent expression of who you are as a person. If you're a cheap person at heart who doesn't really care what you look like. Than those $20 tattoos are perfect for you. Go the extra mile, seek out an artist who charges within your budget, someone whose portfolio makes you sick with excitement every time you turn the page. Take your time, it's not realistic to get a "sleeve in one session, for cheap." I don't mean to rant, but your tattoos are an investment. Don't be cheap, take your time, don't compromise, and relax. It's not so serious, it's fun.